- Contains 1/2 oz of .9999 fine Gold.
- Comes in a protective plastic capsule.
- Limited mintage of 100,000 coins worldwide.
- Obverse: Portrays the Jody Clark likeness of Queen Elizabeth II as well as the coin’s monetary denomination.
- Reverse: Portrays a kangaroo looking over its shoulder with a eucalyptus and grass trees in the background. The design also incorporates the inscription “Australian Kangaroo,” The Perth Mint’s traditional “P” mint mark, the 2023 year-date, and the weight and purity.
- Guaranteed by The Perth Mint.
The Gold Kangaroo offers an unrivaled combination of quality, fascinating wildlife design and a limited mintage, making this Gold coin a collectible you’ll want to own. Add the 2023 1/2 oz Gold Australian Kangaroo coin to your cart today!
Australian Gold Kangaroos
The Gold Kangaroo coin series was originally the Gold Nugget series minted by The Perth Mint beginning in 1986. The reverse images featured various Gold nuggets from 1986 to 1989 until the design was changed in 1989 to feature the kangaroo, which was more symbolic of Australia. Minted in denominations of 1/10 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/2 oz and 1 oz sizes, these coins have legal tender status in Australia. A significant appeal for collectors is the fact that the designs of these beautiful coins change each year, differentiating them from many other popular Gold sovereign coins.
The kangaroo is the most instantly recognizable wildlife symbol of Australia. The world’s largest marsupial, females carry their infants around in their pouch for two months after being born. These young kangaroos, called joeys, will stay close to their mothers until about eight months of age.
Red kangaroos hop along on their powerful hind legs and do so at tremendous speed and with incredible grace. In fact, a red kangaroo can reach speeds of over 35 miles per hour! Their massive gait allows them to cover 25 feet in a single leap. The male kangaroos are larger than the females and sometimes fight over potential mates by leaning back on their tails and boxing each other with their strong hind legs.
The Perth Mint
Located along the Swan River, The Perth Mint is Australia’s oldest operating mint and throughout its rich history, the name has become synonymous with some of the highest standards of bullion and collectible products. Along with the Gold Swan and Silver Swan series, some of The Perth Mint’s most well-known coin programs include the Gold Kangaroo and Silver Kangaroo, Koala, Gold Lunar and Silver Lunar and the Silver Kookaburra programs along with a wide variety of specialty bullion releases.